"Hey Friend - Where Are You Going? That's A Dead End Ahead"!
Are you just entering the workforce? Workplace Moxie is here to show you the yellow street signs to help you avoid turning down any dead end roads.
Are you already working, but wondering if you've gotten lost and are now stuck on a dead end street? Workplace Moxie is here to help you get turned around and off of that street that goes no where. We'll help you get back on the main road to where you want to go!
By the time you finish reading this page you'll have access to information dealing with such issues as:
* Career advice, career advancement, career development, job fairs, career change, job planning, career planning, how to succeed, secrets to success, employment resources, job tips, dead end jobs, interviewing techniques, job interviews, job resources, work positions, interview preparation, avoiding pitfalls and MORE!
* Understanding what can put a position on a dead end street
* Avoiding getting into a Dead End Work Position
* Getting out of a Dead End Work Position
Learn how you can avoid or get out of Dead End Work Positions!
We've all heard and read "horror" stories about people who have gotten caught in Dead End Work Positions. Do you know someone who has experienced this type of tragedy? Have you experienced this yourself?
One thing is for sure, no one desires to go through such an experience.
There are few fates worse than finding out you are in a Dead End Work Position. We all hope it won't happen to us. But - Sometimes it's something you just can't know until it happens.
You can find:
* Your current work plays no part in the future
* Your company has a "glass ceiling", (Which means you can only go so far in the company - More often than not because the "upper" positions are already held by others, and they're not about to make room for you …)
* Your company is "down sizing", (Which means upper management has decided it can't afford to pay all of its employees - or that they can make more money by paying less employees …)
* Your company just isn't able to stay in business anymore, (Which means it must let go of its employees and close its doors.)
* Your company merges with another and the new company elects to bring in their own people, (And eliminate your position …)
These are all very real reasons why and how people can lose their way and find themselves on a dead end street.
“If all else fails, read the instructions"…
Make your own map.
The best "weapon" you have to fight against Dead End Work Positions is, first and foremost, research.
Before you take any work position.
Find out everything you possibly can about the industry/field, company/business, right down to the individual employer.
When you're doing your research, answer these key questions:
* When the company was started
* Why the company was started
* Where the money came from to start the company
This will reveal the company's original motivation and drive. It will also reveal something about its integrity.
Next, find out everything you can about the company's current position in the world marketplace:
* How the company is doing financially
* What kind of standing it has with/in the community
* The general public's opinion of its product or service
Then find out everything you can about the company's plans for the future.
Finally, find out everything you can about the company's employment policies and practices:
* If they hire from within
* If there is a lot of "turnover" (employees leaving)
* If there are chances for you to move up from your position
* If there are chances for you to grow with this company
Most, if not all, of this information is easy for you to find at your local library or on the Internet.
If you're already working, do this research as well. Just because you work there doesn't mean you know all there is to know, (or need to know), about your employer.
Research will help you know:
* If the company has a good future
* If you have a future with this company
It's possible you'll find out it's time you started looking for another position with another company …
The time and energy you spend up front researching positions will give you the best, and perhaps the only, insurance you can have against Dead End Work Positions.
(Notice we didn't say "guarantee" ...)
There are no guarantees in the always changing, fast paced work world.
But - If you do your homework, (research), your chances will be increased that you will be able to avoid or get out of a position that is a Dead End Work Position.
Copyright 1998/2005 Workplace Moxie